Now that Halloween is OVER, let’s talk about it! My family and I have been researching, praying, and talking about about Halloween prior to the actual day, in order that we may make the best decision for OUR family in regards to what we would like to do or not do when it comes to October 31st.
The FIRST and biggest element I have noticed when it comes to the conversation about Halloween is ALL the arguments that take place FOR or AGAINST this issue between BELIEVERS!!!! Well, let me start this WHOLE conversation off by saying, what I am going to share was a Holy Spirit conviction to me and my family. God works in different ways with different people so there is NO judgement, NO condemnation, NO negative opinions towards ANY of you who choose to or not to participate. What my goal would be is have a conversation, share a little about what God has been speaking to me and HOPEFULLY learn about what He is saying to you!
That being said I want to start with in the Bible, it is FULL of GRACE and TRUTH! So bottom line is that God through Jesus has given us so much new freedoms and praise GOD for that! And yet, they are lined with TRUTHS they need to be revealed to us. What I am learning in MANY areas of my life is that with those FREEDOMS comes the need to think of others with LOVE and awareness (those others may be within your own family, or community, or complete strangers). You may have heard in my podcast on Biblical Modesty that even though we have the FREEDOM in Christ to wear what we want, we also have to follow the GREATEST commandment that says, “LOVE GOD, and LOVE OTHERS.” While loving others we need to be aware that we make choices that are to help turn OTHERS to Christ and not let anyone stubble due to our own freedoms.
So how does this apply to Halloween?
Well it applies in MANY ways, and presents arguments to or not to participate in Halloween. What I believe it presents is yet another opportunity for us as believers to figure out HOW our ACTIONS are SHOWING CHRIST to others. (Remembering others include, our families, our community and complete strangers). There are questions along the way for each family to discuss and decide how it looks for their family.
So lets dive into what the Holy Spirit has been revealing to our family this year in regards to Halloween:
- History of Halloween:
- There are many stories about the day of Halloween and how it has pagan roots. I believe we can for the most part agree on this (as with many Holidays). However, this differently then others is when most Satantic worshippers view as their holy day. Let me say this LOUD and CLEAR: I DO NOT GIVE SATAN THIS DAY, OR ANY DAY! EVERYDAY BELONGS TO THE LORD!! And while we stand on this truth we must also remember that the enemy of our souls is out to STEAL, KILL, and DESTROY, by looking at every loop hole he can find. So the question I ask myself is: Am I giving evil a loop hole by celebrating (in my own innocent way) into my family’s life? The answer may be different for each family, but what is most important is are you asking and evaluating before decisions are made. We were created to be counter-cultural in Christ, because we are not to go on the wide road but the narrow road that leads to Christ.
- Ephesians 5:15-16 –
15 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise,16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.
2. SPIRITUAL WARFARE:
- We have established that no day belongs to Satan, but that doesn’t mean there is not HUGE amounts of Spiritual warfare at hand. I read this article on Christianity Today International that spoke ALL about spiritual warfare, called Don’t Worry, There Are More Demons Than You Think and the tag line which is so important read, “What Halloween gets right about spirits and why Christians have nothing to be afraid of.” During this article it CLEARLY lays out the spiritual battle all around us, everyday of our lives, not just on Halloween. It also says that we have the victory in CHRIST! We do not have to be afraid! PRAISE GOD! So I have to ask myself this question, in what areas of my life or on THIS day am I guarding myself against the evil spiritual world? Or am I creating a space where spiritual warfare is happening and I don’t have my sword? I strongly, believe that we NEED to be ready for BATTLE! The enemy certainly is, but do we have our amor on?
- In addition, I think it is important to note that the spiritual warfare is not just for parents! Children are more aware then we think. To share a story of this year, my sweet sensitive boy who is 3 years old, for the month of October has been having nightmares when we come in his room to comfort, pray and check on him, he has communicated the following reasons for his nightmares: spiders, death in the form of someone eating him, and ghosts that are trying to carry him away. SERIOUSLY! We have never shown or exposed or talked about these things, he is seeing them decorated around peoples houses and in the grocery stores. HE IS THREE!!! Our family is already now due to the display of fear and evil, addressing spiritual warfare! Positively, it is good because they are more aware then we think, negatively, sends my momma bear into a frenzy! So I ask myself: what is being promoted spiritually when it comes to Halloween? Again, this is opportunity for self and family evaluation.
- Ephesians 6:12 – 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
3.“Christians are NO FUN”:
- I can not tell you how many times I have heard this phrase in regards to Halloween. In fact, if I may be so bold, I bet some of you reading this now have thought, this is no fun. But bare with me on this one, if we were to review the Bible in the Old Testament I think we would have more then enough reason to believe that GOD LOVES CELEBRATIONS! In fact, He gave specific outline for days of rest, days of rejoicing, and WHOLE YEAR Jubilees’ where there would be feast, and laugher, and enjoyment! Therefore I believe God CREATED us to have enjoyment, fun, parties, laughter, happiness and JOY. What I don’t think God asks us to do is to compromise what we believe in order to have “fun.” (Again, this is applied to many settings). I don’t for one second think that God is asking us to sit in a corner and not enjoy the day He has given us, but I ask myself: How does my family and I find enjoyment in this day that is HONORING to GOD? Maybe that is family time, maybe that is serving the community, maybe that is celebrating All Saints Day (November 1st, honoring those Christians who have passed away and helped share the message of Christ), it could look like a lot of different things, but what does it mean for your family?
4. Fear, Gore, Death:
- I believe there is CLEAR scripture about some of the elements of Halloween that need to have our careful eye on.
- Deuteronomy 18:9-13 –
9 When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there.10 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft,11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead.12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD; because of these same detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you.13 You must be blameless before the LORD your God.
- Galatians 5:19-21 –
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
- Deuteronomy 18:9-13 –
- With those in mind, I believe for the most part Christian families and community events do their best to do away with gore, evil and fear when it comes to children and celebration Halloween. Yet, it begs the question, what am I doing during this Halloween event to flee evil and not participate in what the Bible has clearly spoken? I do believe as we answer this question per family, we will find different responses at different ages of our kids on how we address these evils. I also believe it is important to not live in fear and have strong statements of truth that we can teach our kids and rely on for ourselves when it comes to the VICTORY we have in CHRIST! It can be a slippery slope we when start to participate in what the world views as ok when it comes to elements the Bible clearly states is not ok to celebrate. (I personally know, since I am not without sin, it is all to easy unfortunately so that is why I feel it is important to take a strong stance, or and bring it to the attention during this event.)
5. Community outreach:
- MANY, MANY, MANY believers I know use this opportunity of Halloween as an outreach moment to get to know neighbors and spread truth. One of my fellow bloggers who I respect prints out scripture cards and attaches it to FULL KING SIZE candy bars, to hand out to the kids in her neighborhood (People remember and RETURN to her home year after year). She is very intentional, through prayer for each person that comes to her door. (She also has older children and does this event with them). Another Blogger I admire and follow participates in community outreach events during this season of time.
- While I respect and value what they are doing for the kingdom of God. I was convicted in other ways this year in our discussing what OUR families plans are for Halloween. Some of those convictions included asking myself, Is Halloween the only time I am being a presence in my neighborhood? Are my children spiritually ready for an outreach program on Halloween (due to what they might see and hear during this spiritual warfare event)?
- The other thing I have noticed since living in our house for 7 years is that the city community has created many events where local businesses are handing out candy and less and less trick-or-treat families are walking through the neighborhood. Some people I have talked to are saddened about this change and others are grateful. Currently, I fall on the side of grateful. I think it is much safer way to give the community candy and a gathering when the kids are walking into stores, police offices, and restaurants on a given street within a time frame.
6. “Halloween is for the Kids”:
- The innocence of dressing up and getting candy is an element of Halloween that seems very inviting and kid friendly. In my families research this year I watched a video from a previous Satantic Worshipper. Who expressed while he was in that religion that their church was over joyed when they would see kids participating in Halloween (even innocently) because they knew those kids will grow up and the desire to continue to participate while increasing the amount of participation in evil. While, I declare RIGHT NOW that I WILL NOT GIVE Satan that kind of power over my life or my kids lives, it is something that is interesting to think about in regards to leaving a generation legacy. So I ask myself, what habits am I creating by participating or not in Halloween and am I happy with where these habits are leading my children for the future?
- It is important to note that my husband and I didn’t grow up with participating in Halloween, so when we went to make a decision for our family we truly didn’t have any ties with halloween. There were no heart strings attached to that day. I enjoy candy and costume parties still but they don’t need to be on Halloween for me, I don’t feel like I am “missing out” on anything since I don’t have that connection with the day like other people do. There was no generation tie to Halloween for me.
7. What does your Spirit say? (MOST IMPORTANT)
- Sometimes it is SUPER hard as a parent, and a believer to make decisions on what is best for you and your family. I believe that God has given us one of the GREATEST gifts His Holy Spirit, and quiet frankly WE DON’T USE that GIFT enough! When I go into a setting, event, situation or activity and I feel 100% peace I know it is right. When I am in a setting, event, situation or activity where I start to get a few moments of unrest about what I see or what is happening; I have been learning to listen to those feelings. I believe the Holy Spirit is revealing this to me to PAY ATTENTION! So I asked myself this year: Do you have complete peace about participation or do you feel unrest about this event?
SO what did we decided to do this year about Halloween?
My husband and I through prayer, conversation and speaking with those we respect and are our spiritual leaders decided to not participate in any way with Halloween this year. I can tell you now, because I have decided to share this process post Halloween that we felt so much PEACE about our families decision. We ate dinner as a family, played games and enjoyed homemade chocolate chip cookies, sent the kids to bed at a regular time and Darren and I spent the evening together relaxing in the comfort of our home with PEACE.
This decision is not for everyone, however a decision MUST be made on whether to participate or not and in what form or fashion, per family. I only encourage you to listen and respond to what the Holy Spirit has for you. God is ready to use each person in different and Holy ways! What has He called you and your family to do? Have you stopped and prayed about what it looks like for your family in regards to Halloween?
If you are looking for more resources to help make your families BEST Godly decision, my mother-in-law purchased me this wonderful book called Taking Back October, by Beth Vice. A GREAT, QUICK, CHRISTIAN read to help give some more information about the Day, and other ways to celebrate, including a HUGE section on ALL SAINTS DAY (Something my family and I are excited to look into including in our future!) Also check out her blog: HERE!!!
Seriously, I busted through this wonderful book, and passed it along to my sister-in-law! You will want this as a resource and conversation guide!